When shopping for a safe, consider the type of protection, lock type and capacity you want or need.
Types of Protection
In addition to simple security, fire protection is a primary reason to own a safe. Water protection is also desirable if you live in a flood plain otherwise moist environment. Safes are UL and ETL tested and listed for fire and water resistance. Some extra protection features you’ll find include: pry-resistant doors, solid steel construction, bolt-down kits, anti-fishing baffles and anti-drill doors.
- Keyed Lock: Keys account for the most standard and basic option. With no combinations to remember, this is the simplest way to secure your valuables.
- Combination Lock: This locking option consists of a three-number combination. No batteries are required.
- Electronic / Keypad Lock: Digital-locking systems require a one- to eight-digit password. Multiple-user options also are available.
- Biometric: These safes incorporate fingerprint recognition for total control of access to the unit.
- Small safes are good for storing items, such as passports, cash, spare keys, jewelry and small collectables.
- Medium-sized and large safes are ideal for storing hanging folders, paper documents, binders, cash drawers and large collectables.
- Extra-large and upright safes can secure firearms, data storage and file large amounts of paper documents.
Always store unloaded guns in a locked gun safe, and make sure unauthorized people don't have access to the weapons. If the safe has a key lock, be certain that you place the key in a secure, private spot that's inaccessible to children. Always remove ammunition from guns and place in a locked location separate from the guns.
What extra steps can I take to deter theft?
• Keep your safe closed and locked when not in use.
• Don't share your code / combination or keep them near the safe.
• Don't tell anyone where the safe is located (except the fire department in the event of a fire).
• If possible, conceal your safe.
• Bolt your safe to the floor or wall, depending on the model you've selected.