Lowe's shows you 5 colorful options for autumn containers and window boxes
1. Pansies - Pansies have large single petals and come in blue, purple, maroon, white and yellow, as well as a mix of bicolors. These hardy flowers look great edging a container or window box because of their short stature and large cheery flowers.
2. Kale - Ornamental kale offers big, colorful, frilly leaves in white, purple, pink and green-blue. You need just a few plants to fill up a container or window box. Kales like the cool temperatures of autumn, and they'll stand up to frost, too.
3. Asters - Dwarf varieties of asters grow 6 to 8 inches tall and are covered with fringed flowers in purple, blue, or pink with bright yellow centers.
4. Chrysanthemums - Chrysanthemums, or mums for short, are a fall favorite and a standout for containers and window boxes because they come in many different colors, like red, lavender, white, yellow, gold, russet and chartreuse. Mums come in double and single flowers, too.
5. Gourds and pumpkins - There's no planting involved — just stack them into a container or mix them with plants. You can grow your own gourds and mini pumpkins, of course!