Are you winter-ready? Blizzards, heavy snow, freezing rain and subzero temperatures can hit hard and fast. With a little planning, you can protect your family from the many hazards of winter weather on the road and at home.
Prepare Your Home for Winter
If you don’t have to drive during inclement winter weather, consider remaining home. Here are a few items that we recommend you keep around the house so that you're prepared for a winter storm:
- Lay salt and sand on driveways and walkways before and after it snows to prevent slipping and facilitate ice melting.
- Keep flashlights, candles, matches and a battery-powered radio in an easy-to-reach location so you’re prepared in the event of a power outage.
- Use a snow blower to help clear walkways and driveways.
- Shovel a couple inches of snow from driveways or sidewalks and repeat a couple of times instead of waiting for a deep snow to accumulate.
- Stock pantries with grocery staples and a few extra treats to help pass the time and prevent cabin fever.
- Avoid costly roof damage with a Telescoping Roof Rake. Using a roof rake is the best way to safely and easily remove heavy winter precipitation and prevent roof damage.