Build your "Made in the Shade" Screen before filling the raised beds with soil.
1. Cut four 1x6 mounting boards so their lengths equal the distance from the ground to just under the rim of the raised bed.
2. Use #14x1-1/4-inch flathead wood screws to attach the 1x 6 mounting boards to the inside corners of the raised beds. The bottom of the boards should rest on the ground and the tops should be just under the rim of the raised bed.
3. Cut four pieces of 1-1/4-inch-diameter PVC pipe to a length 1-1/4 inches taller than the 1x6 mounting boards. Attach the pipes to the boards with two pipe straps and screws. The bottom of each pipe should rest on the ground and the top should be a little bit lower than the top of the raised bed.
|4. Cut four pieces of 1-inch-diameter PVC pipe to a length 18 inches taller than the height of your raised bed. (This height can be adjusted to meet your shade screen needs.)|
|5. Measure 1-1/2 inches from the top of the pipe and drill a 1/4-inch hole through both sides of the pipe to accommodate the J Bolt. Insert the J Bolt and secure to the pipe using screws. Cap the pipes with 1-inch slip caps.|
6. Insert the 1 inch pipes with J Bolts into the 1-1/4-inch pipe sleeves.
7. Cut a piece of sunscreen fabric to the size needed to span the distance from J Bolt to J Bolt. Follow the instructions on grommet package to attach a grommet one inch in from each corner of the screen. Stretch the screen between the J Bolts and thread the grommets over the ends the J Bolts.
8. When the screen is no longer needed, remove it and store indoors. Remove the 1-inch pipes and cap the pipe sleeves with the 1-1/4-inch slip caps.