Your home is your haven. So there's nothing better than knowing you're protected and out of harm's way. These home safety tips will help keep your home safe from fire and other common household hazards.
Early fire detection is the key to making sure everyone gets out of the house safely. Relying solely on your sense of smell to alert you to a fire can compromise your family's timely exit from the house. Smoke detectors can detect smoke before you can, giving you and your family the extra time to escape from a fire.
Shop smoke detectors.
A fire extinguisher should be on every floor of your home. It's a must for your home's kitchen, the place where so many house fires start. There are different extinguishers for different types of fires. You will notice labels on the units marked A, B and C. These letters refer to which types of fires the extinguishers address:
Each extinguisher also has a rating number indicating what size fire it can handle. Some units rate for all three types of fires, but they have a larger size rating for one type than for another. Choose a fire extinguisher that is right for the types of fire that might break out in a particular area.
Shop fire extinguishers.
Map out your escape route and identify a family meeting place in case of fire. If you have more than one floor in your home, consider investing in a fire escape ladder. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), you should have an alternate exit out of every room. Also, make sure that all windows and doors can be opened and shut. Fix any windows that have been painted or nailed shut, doors that are stubborn or "stuck," and locks that are difficult to operate. Security bars or grates over windows or doors should have quick-release devices that allow you to open them in an emergency. The NFPA also recommends that you hold a fire drill twice a year.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, odorless gas that can kill, produced by common household sources, including wood or gas fireplaces, gas or oil furnaces, wood stoves, gas appliances, a clogged chimney or improper venting in a garage. Today's energy-efficient, airtight homes contribute to the problem by decreasing the exchange of inside and outside air. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning mimic those of the flu so you might not realize you are being poisoned until damage is done. A carbon monoxide detector in your home will alert you when the level of the gas in the air has become dangerous.
Radon is a naturally occurring, odorless, colorless and tasteless radioactive gas proven to cause cancer. So, it is important for you to test your home for its presence. Radon test kits are easy-to-use and inexpensive, providing complete instructions for where to send your sample for analysis.
Falls in the home lead to thousands of injuries every year. While the elderly are the most susceptible, all ages are at risk if a house isn't properly arranged for safety. There are some easy things you can do to prevent these kinds of accidents in your home.
In the event of a power outage, make sure that your home has plenty of flashlights so that you aren't stuck in the dark.