Pesticides are created to eliminate unwanted animals, insects, weeds or other pests. While they are very helpful, they can also be very dangerous to humans, pets and beneficial insects such as bees and other pollinators.
Whether synthetic or organic in origin, you should treat all pesticides with caution. Always read the labels carefully, following all of the procedures and precautions. Here are some important safety tips for handling pesticides:
• Cover exposed skin as directed by the instructions. Wear long sleeves, long pants, rubber shoes, respirator and safety goggles. When gloves are recommended, wear unlined chemical or waterproof gloves. Cloth or leather gloves are absorbent and only accelerate and extend skin contact.
• Remember that the greatest risk to the user occurs when mixing concentrated chemicals. Use extra care as the main danger is from exposure to skin.
• Before using, remove children, toys and any pets from the area.
• Do not transfer chemicals to another storage container. Never use food or beverage containers.
• If you're using a sprayer or a spreader, make sure it's calibrated correctly. Wash it thoroughly after each use. It's a good idea to have separate sprayers for different chemicals such as insecticides and herbicides.
• Be wary of using pesticides where surface water runoff can occur. And be especially careful near a body of water.
• Never spray on windy days. Chemicals can drift to plants you don't want to harm. Do not let spray drift into a neighbor's yard.
• Spray indoors only if the area is well ventilated and the pesticide is made for indoor use.
• Wash hands thoroughly after use, especially before eating, drinking or smoking.
• Use extra caution if anyone in your family has allergies or asthma.
• Use repellents with caution, especially those applied on children.
• When purchasing, keep pesticides separated in the shopping cart. Bag them separately.
• Clothing can absorb mists. When cleaning up after using pesticides (including repellents) wash all clothing separately.
• Peel or wash thoroughly any affected fruits and vegetables before eating.