- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 12-inch packaged prebaked pizza crust or Italian bread shell (Boboli®)
- 3 to 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow or red tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion wedges
- 8 to 10 pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or snipped fresh basil
1. Combine olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper and brush onto pizza crust. Top with cheese, tomato, roasted red pepper, onion, and olives.*
2. Using a charcoal grill with a cover, arrange preheated coals around the outside edge for indirect grilling. Test for medium heat in the center of the grill. Place your pizza on the center of the rack. Cover and grill about 7 to 8 minutes or until the pizza is heated through and the cheese is melted; check occasionally to be sure the bottom of the crust isn’t getting too brown. If you’re using a gas grill, preheat and then reduce to medium heat. Place shells on the grill rack. Grill as instructed above. Before serving, sprinkle pizza with oregano leaves. Makes 4 servings.
*Tip: For easy handling—and to protect the bottom of the crust—you can use foil. Fold a 24x18" piece of heavy foil in half crosswise. Place the pizza on foil, turning the edges of foil up to the edge of the pizza.
Grilled Fruit Sundaes
- 2 small ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons pineapple juice or orange juice, divided
- 3 1/2" slices peeled and cored fresh pineapple, quartered
- 1 medium nectarine or peach, pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup caramel ice-cream topping
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Sweetened whipped cream and maraschino cherries (optional)
1. Cut bananas in half lengthwise; cut each piece into thirds crosswise. (You should have 12 pieces.) Stir together butter and 2 teaspoons of the pineapple juice. Brush mixture over all sides of bananas, pineapple pieces, and nectarine slices.
2. If using a charcoal grill, grill fruit on a flat vegetable rack atop the grill rack directly over medium-hot coals until heated through; turn over halfway through grilling. (Nectarine slices take about 3 minutes, bananas about 4 minutes, and pineapple about 6 minutes total grilling time.) If using a gas grill, preheat and then reduce to medium heat. Place fruit on a flat vegetable rack atop the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as instructed above.
3. Meanwhile, combine the caramel topping and the remaining 1 teaspoon of pineapple juice in a heavy medium skillet or saucepan. Heat the caramel mixture on the grill rack alongside the fruit directly over the coals (or heat on a grill side burner, if desired) until the mixture boils, stirring frequently. Stir in the nutmeg.
4. To serve, spoon fruit over scoops of ice cream. Drizzle with sauce. If desired, top with whipped cream and cherries. Makes 4 servings.
Szechwan Chicken Kabobs
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Szechwan chili sauce or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 8 to 12 assorted color cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and/or pear-shaped tomatoes
1. If using bamboo skewers, soak four 12" skewers in warm water for 20 minutes; drain. Cut the chicken into bite-size strips. Place chicken in a plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For the marinade, combine vinegar, hoisin sauce, Szechwan chili sauce, and garlic in a small bowl. Pour marinade over chicken; close bag. Marinate in refrigerator at least 15 minutes (up to 2 hours), turning bag once.
2. Drain chicken and reserve marinade. On four 12" skewers, thread chicken, accordion-style, leaving room on the ends for tomatoes. If using a charcoal grill, grill the kabobs on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink; turn once and brush twice with the marinade up to the last 5 minutes of grilling. Add the tomatoes to the ends of the skewers the last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling. If using a gas grill, preheat and then reduce to medium heat. Place kabobs on the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as instructed above. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Szechwan Shrimp and Mango Kabobs
Soak bamboo skewers and prepare marinade as directed above. Marinate 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp in the refrigerator as directed for chicken but reduce the marinating time to 10 to 20 minutes. Drain and reserve marinade. On four 12" skewers, thread shrimp alternately with 1 red sweet pepper cut into 1" pieces, about 1/2 cup fresh mango chunks, and 2 green onions bias-sliced into 1-inch pieces. Grill kabobs as directed but reduce grilling time to 6 to 10 minutes or until shrimp are opaque; turn once halfway through and brush with marinade.
Father’s Day Spice Rub
Combine 2 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoons dried parsley, 4 teaspoons ground hot chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper in a clean jar; cover with a lid. Mixture will stay fresh for up to a month.