Install a storage system and employ a little organization to ensure your closet always has space available.
- Use drawer organizers to keep folded clothes in neat stacks.
- Add storage outside of the closet by using nightstands, chests and armoires.
- Maximize headboards by using one with drawers and shelves.
- Make use of storage under the bed with storage bins or built-in drawers.
- Hang organizers from the back of closet doors to store jewelry, scarves, belts and shoes.
- Use a combination of single and double rods in the closet to accommodate shorter clothing items.
- Fold sweaters and jeans, and place them on shelves above rods to free up space for hangers.
- Affix hooks and pegs to unused wall space in the closet for additional hanging options.
- Store jewelry and purses in baskets on a shelf.
- Install a ready-made storage system with a combination of shelves, drawers, baskets, doors, hanging rods and shoe racks.
- Take advantage of dead areas under staircases and dormers to install built-in shelves and drawers.
- Swap clothes out for each season by storing winter clothes in a cedar chest or plastic bins in the summer and vice versa for summer clothes in winter.
- Turn a piece of corkboard or grid into the perfect spot for hanging hats, purses and scarves.
- Hang shadow boxes on the wall as a decorative way to store and show off jewelry and small accessories. Make sure each shadow box has front hinges so you can access your jewelry.