Lightweight drywall boards are easier to handle, which means you can get the job done faster with less fatigue. Whether you’re using lightweight drywall boards for your home’s walls or ceilings, replacing one board or building a completely new wall, you’ll be glad you chose it.
Benefits of Lightweight Drywall Boards
When contractors construct buildings, they normally have a team of people handling drywall boards. Why? Because their size coupled with their weight can make them difficult for one person to handle alone. Lightweight drywall boards were created to respond to a growing demand for a product that weighs less but performs on par, or better, with traditional products.
Due to the product’s improved impact resistance, the lightweight boards are less subject to pre- and post-installation wear and tear. Among other attributes of the improved drywall boards are:
- Greater flexural strength during handling and installation, meaning the boards are less prone to breakage
- Sag resistance for ceiling use, which means one product can be used on walls and ceilings
- Less waste, since leftover pieces from walls can be used on ceilings and vice versa
- Reduced risk of fatigue and injury for you and your crew
- Easier to score and snap, thus greater ease and less waste
- Reduced dust
- Improved strength-to-weight ratio over traditional drywall
Features of Lightweight Drywall Boards
If you’re a professional installing drywall on an apartment complex or a weekend warrior tackling a renovation in your home, lightweight drywall is well-suited for your job. Lightweight drywall is specially formulated to be up to 25% lighter than original ½-inch high-strength drywall board. It’s lightweight and sag-resistant, which makes it easier to handle. Lightweight drywall boards are currently available in 8-, 9-, 10- and 12-foot lengths.
Like standard drywall, lightweight drywall has tapered edges, which allow joints to be reinforced with joint tape and concealed with setting compounds. Lightweight drywall boards can also be decorated with spray textures.