Are you a consummate collector? Are the stray items in your bedroom overrunning the surfaces of dressers? If your closet is exploding and you trip over your shoes on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it's probably time for a seasonal bedroom declutter session. After all, your bedroom is your sanctuary, and a tidy space will help you enjoy this sweet oasis. Here are our best tips for airing out your closet, coordinating your clothes and getting dirty laundry off the floor.
Top Tips for Decluttering Your Bedroom
- Set a small goal, and be faithful to fulfill it. Decide that you will take 10 items of clothing out of your closet this weekend,and determine if they are good enough to keep, if you're ready to give them away or if it's time to throw them away.
- Consider investing in a closet organizer once you've pared your clothing down. From inexpensive plastic shelving to high-end, custom wooden closet systems, there are a variety of options available to help you tame your closet.
- Get an extra hamper for your closet, and use it to keep clothes that you'd like to donate. Also consider instituting a policy that no new item of clothing goes into the closet without an old item coming out.
- Take a look around your bedroom, and determine if you can get rid of a few pieces. If there are dressers that you don't use, donate or consign them.
- Make a little money from your unwanted items. Host a neighborhood yard sale, and turn unwanted furniture, clothing and other items into extra spending money.
- Remove all items from tables, dressers and other surfaces in the bedroom and sort them. Throw away anything that you don't use, and designate specific spaces for toiletries, jewelry and other miscellany that tends to collect in these areas. You should be able to dust these surfaces easily without having to move piles of clothing or maneuver around tchotchkes.
- Clear the bedroom floor. If shoes, clothes, books and papers tend to clutter up your walking spaces, use hooks, shelves and other storage solutions to clear the area. You should be able to vacuum or clean the floor easily without maneuvering around unnecessary items.
- Simplify your room’s design scheme by limiting the number of decorative items. Cut back on decorative pillows, which collect dust and often end up on the floor. Choose solid colors so everything matches, and get rid of old blankets, pillows or other bedding that doesn't fit well with your current design scheme.
- Remove everything from the bedroom that doesn't belong there.. Find what isn't necessary in your sleeping space, and determine where it goes. Consider purchasing containers that fit under the bed to store family memorabilia or other items that might clutter dressers or the floor.