- Ideas & How-Tos
Choose Your Savings
Washing dishes may not be our favorite chore, but thanks to dishwashers, it's a whole lot easier. Life without a dishwasher can be as tough on you as it is on your dishpan hands. By following a few tips for cleaning and maintaining your dishwasher, you can keep repair bills down, extend the life of your dishwasher and keep it running efficiently for years to come.
1. Load it right. Loading your dishwasher properly can prevent damage to the machine, help the machine run smoothly and quietly, and help your dishes come out cleaner.
2. A cycle a day keeps the contractor away. Regular usage prevents your dishwasher from building debris and draining improperly.
3. Lose the food. You don't need to completely rinse your dishes, but make sure you remove hard food pieces to prevent damage to the dishwasher.
4. It's the inside that counts. Clean the inside of your dishwasher when it's completely cool to keep it running smoothly. Avoid using cleaners other than dishwasher detergent or your dishwasher will start foaming the next time you run it.
5. Check the arms. Make sure all holes in the spinning arms are open so that water can run through freely. Use pliers or a toothpick to remove any debris.
6. Flush out that garbage disposal. Most dishwashers deposit the used wash water directly into the in-sink garbage disposal. Simply run your water and garbage disposal for five seconds before you start your dishwasher. This will help your dishwasher's pump work more efficiently and helps the drain tube remain clear of debris.