Welcome friends and family during the holiday season by dressing up your entryway with warmth and color. Find tips and decorating ideas to give your home a festive holiday theme.
Decorate Your Doorway
- Use natural elements to enhance your front door, like hanging tree branches from the eaves above your porch.
- Hang a natural holiday wreath made of berries, dried fruit or pinecones on the front door.
- Decorate with a wreath made of ornaments or greenery with blinking lights.
- Dangle oversized ornaments from heavy-duty twine to add some interest above your doorway.
- Wrap columns with loops of garland, and add Christmas lights for some extra sparkle.
- Add a reindeer or Santa Clause door hanger for guests to knock with as an alternative to using the doorbell.
Garnish Your Staircase
- Intertwine your banister with boughs of fresh or faux garland.
- Tie red bows along the rails of your staircase or alternate green and red for a true touch of Christmas.
- Wrap glowing Christmas lights along the railing, or add them to garland.
- Place small gifts wrapped in bright colors on the steps.
- Hang ornaments in the empty spaces between stair rails using fishing wire or string.
- Set festive pillows and stuffed animals along the staircase.
Embellish Your Foyer
- Group scented candles or votives on a side table for some soft lighting and cheer.
- String Christmas cards around a mirror or tuck them in a frame.
- Fill glass vases or jars with ornaments or pinecones and faux snow for a wintery feel.
- Set up miniature Christmas trees, and have fun decorating them with different themes. Continue the main theme from the family tree into the rest of your home.
Add Some Greenery
- Frame the front door, inside or out, with potted poinsettias. Add shimmering, shatterproof ornaments to create a cheerful mural to welcome guests.
- Hang a small swag on the inside of the door. You want to say goodbye to your guests in style, too.
- Evergreen plants, such as ivy, can double as holiday greenery. For extra ambiance, add string lights.