With a versatile shed and a keen imagination, your dream space can become a reality by summer.
Rough cost estimate: $6,130 (Does not include labor costs or applicable taxes, which vary by market, or the cost of plants.)
- Cedar shed: $4,200
- Exterior paint: $200
- Interior paint: $150
- Lighting: $150
- Exterior accessories: $245
- Interior accessories: $145
- Changing area: $40
- Peg-board wall: $40
- Kitchen: $780
- Interior storage bench (go online for materials list): $180
On warm summer days, this family loves nothing more than inviting friends over for a splash in the pool. They wanted an outdoor room that would accommodate guests without the need for them to enter the main house with wet feet and clothes.
The sun-lovers started planning in spring to have the new space ready in time for summer fun. They transformed a ready-to-assemble cedar shed kit into a compact cabana that packs function into every inch.
Although the interior measures just 8 x 12 feet, smart design allows for a small kitchen, a curtained changing area and plenty of creative storage. Surfaces such as a laminate countertop and canvas fabrics can withstand hot weather and dripped water.
Two base cabinets conceal a pullout trash bin, silverware and other kitchen necessities. A small refrigerator placed below the countertop holds snacks and drinks. The homeowners painted the wooden floor of the shed in a tan-and-white diamond pattern to add visual punch.
A small front porch with an Adirondack chair, an outdoor wall lantern and a cheerful color palette give the cabana its welcoming facade.
Take inspiration from this shed project, and then create your own personalized room fit for any purpose.
1. This custom-built storage bench features three handy compartments with pull-down doors and chicken-wire panels. Also used for seating, the bench has a cushion upholstered with a canvas drop cloth.
2. To serve as a curtain, a drop cloth painted with colorful stripes conceals the changing area. The homeowners included amenities such as soft lighting, a laundry hamper and a door mirror.
3. A divider made from peg-board panels separates the kitchen and changing area. To boost storage space, movable peg hooks create spots for hanging pool gear, towels, small kitchen tools and other necessities.
4. The laminate countertop, which mimics the look of travertine, is durable and easy to maintain.
1. A waterproof, freestanding deck box next to the pool provides storage for inflatable rafts, floats and more.
2. The homeowners landscaped around the cabana with colorful flowering shrubs and solar-powered path lights. The window boxes, which come with the cedar shed kit, were painted a soft green and filled with yellow lantana and pink petunias. The owners also added exterior shutters to the shed.
The homeowners used a contractor to build this shower from lumber rated for outdoor use and corrugated tin. It features a rain-style showerhead and a small shelf for toiletries.
Good To Know
Use visual tricks to make a small space seem larger. Light paint colors and open shelving give an airier feel to the room.