The holiday season means visits from family and friends. But before the whole family gathers under one roof, follow these safety tips to make sure your home is a safe and healthy place for everyone.
Mark and Secure Entries: Deadbolts and Lighting
- The holidays are a prime time for burglaries, so update your locks with electronic deadbolt systems. If you install a deadbolt entry set with a numeric keypad, you won't have to worry about leaving keys for your guests.
- Mark entries with path lights for added peace of mind.
Shop Door Knobs and Handlesets
Shop Outdoor Lighting
Clear the Air: Air Purifiers
Place air purifiers in guest rooms and common areas to remove allergens (especially pet dander), and prevent the spread of cold and flu germs. Choose an air purifier with a true HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter for maximum effectiveness.
Shop Air Purifiers
Practice Fire Safety: Fire Extinguishers and Smoke Detectors
With holiday lights, candles, fireplaces and lots of cooking in the kitchen, it's important to be prepared in case of a fire.
- Safeguard your family by keeping a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home, checking the batteries frequently to make sure they work.
Shop Fire Extinguishers
Shop Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Make Bathrooms Safer: Grab Bars and Bath Mats
Make sure your guest bathroom is a safe place for older guests and young children:
- Add a grab bar to make getting in and out of the tub easier.
- Place a bath mat on the floor and non-slip decals / stickers on shower floors to help prevent slips on wet surfaces.
Shop Safer Bathing