Effective Date: April 25, 2013
Lowe's respects your concerns about privacy. This Privacy Statement applies to personal information we collect on Lowes.com and other official Lowe's sites (including mobile sites) that link to this Privacy Statement, the Lowe's Career Website hosted on brassring.com, official Lowe's survey forms and sweepstakes entry forms on third-party sites and applications that link to this Privacy Statement, official Lowe's mobile applications that link to this Privacy Statement (the "Mobile Applications"), and from use of the in-store Wi-Fi network (the "Store Wi-Fi") (collectively, the "Site"). The credit-related areas of the Site are covered by different privacy notices that appear on the credit application pages or that you receive in connection with your credit accounts, as applicable; the term "Site" does not refer to these areas. The term "Site" also does not refer to the Weekly Ads pages at lowes.shoplocal.com, the Iris Smart Home website www.irissmarthome.com or the login page for that website on Lowes.com. In some cases, a website or online service covered by this Privacy Statement may provide additional detail about privacy practices specific to the website or online service.
This Privacy Statement describes the types of personal information we collect on the Site, how we may use that information and with whom we may share it. The Privacy Statement also describes the measures we take to protect the security of the personal information. We also tell you how you can reach us to ask us to update your preferences regarding how we communicate with you or answer any questions you may have about our privacy practices.
Information We Collect by Automated Means
Information We Collect
You may choose to provide us with personal information (such as name, contact details and payment information), such as:
- Contact information, such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address, and your title or occupation.
- Login and access credentials (such as username and password) for Lowe's accounts.
- Payment information, such as your payment card number and expiration date.
- Date of birth.
- The geolocation of your device (such as if you opt to use the "Find Near Me" feature of the mobile-optimized portion of our websites or our Mobile Applications).
- The unique ID number associated with certain Lowe's accounts.
- Certain information about your Lowe's purchases returns or exchanges.
- Personal information in communications and other content you submit, such as photographs, product information and details about your projects and property.
- Social media IDs, such as for Facebook or Twitter
- Personal information you submit in your capacity as an independent contractor of Lowe's, such as gender, ethnicity and identification numbers such as your NRDS ID number.
- Personal information you submit in connection with a job application on the Career Website, such as your name, contact information, Social Security Number, date of birth, employment status, employment history, education information, references, résumé, immigration status and ability to work legally in the United States, driver license information, personal or family employment affiliation with Lowe's, criminal record, and, on a voluntary basis for our Equal Employment Opportunity compliance purposes for jobs located in the US, gender, race and ethnic background.
Information Collected Automatically by the Mobile Applications
Cookies are files that websites send to your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings on your device. Our Site may use HTTP cookies, HTML5 cookies, Flash cookies and other types of local storage (such as browser-based or plugin-based local storage). Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict or disable certain cookies. You also may be able to delete your Flash cookies or adjust your Flash cookie settings by visiting the Adobe Flash Website Storage Settings Panel and Global Storage Settings Panel. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Site or other websites and online services.
We may use third-party Web analytics services on our Site, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the technology described above to help us analyze how users use the Site. The information collected by the technology (including your IP address) will be disclosed to these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Site. To learn about opting out of Google Analytics, please click here.
We may use the information collected through automated means to provide a better tailored shopping experience and for market research, data analytics and system administration purposes, such as to determine whether you've visited us before or are new to the Site, and for compliance with our legal obligations, policies and procedures. We also may use this information to target custom content and ads to you on this and other websites, including as described in the Interest-Based Advertising section below.
Information Collected Automatically by Store Wi-Fi
If you elect to install the Mobile Applications, the information we collect may include the following:
- Your geographic location, including within a Lowe's store and the surrounding area.
- Information about your use of the Mobile Applications.
- The type of device you use and its operating system.
- Identification details of your device (e.g., unique device identifier).
- IP address.
- Your use of mobile coupons in a Lowe's transaction.
This information will allow push notifications and other targeted marketing designed specifically for your shopping preferences such as special offers based upon areas in which you may be shopping in the store, and shopping lists with specific items located for your convenience when you are shopping a particular store, as well as for other in-store mapping and routing services. It also may be used for the other purposes specified in this Privacy Statement.
If you elect to use the free Store Wi-Fi available at Lowe's stores, we will collect information such as the following:
- The URLs and content of the pages you visit on any website (e.g., on yahoo.com or Lowes.com) using your mobile device, and, on some websites, information you submit through online forms.
- The apps on your mobile device that use the Store Wi-Fi.
- Your geographic locations within a Lowe's store and the surrounding area within the range of the Store Wi-Fi.
- How long you use the Store Wi-Fi at particular locations.
- The type of device you use and its operating system.
- Identification details of your device (e.g., unique device identifier and MAC address).
- Browser information and IP address.
- The address of the store where you use the Store Wi-Fi.
This information will allow targeted marketing designed specifically for your shopping preferences such as specific coupons based upon the sites and pages you visited, special offers based upon areas in which you may be shopping in the store, including competitive offers based upon other websites that you may be viewing, shopping lists with specific items located for your convenience when you are shopping a particular store, as well as for other in-store mapping and routing services. It also may be used for the other purposes specified in this Privacy Statement.
Data about your activities online is being collected on our Site for use in providing advertising tailored to your individual interests. You may choose whether or not to have your information collected for that purpose. This section of the Privacy Statement provides details and explains how to exercise that choice.
You may see certain ads on other websites because we participate in advertising networks administered by third parties. These networks track your online activities over time by collecting information through automated means, including through the use of the technologies described in the Information We Collect By Automated Means section above, and they use this information to show you advertisements that are tailored to your individual interests. The information they collect includes information about your visits to our Site, such as the pages you have viewed. This collection and ad targeting takes place both on our Site and on third-party websites that participate in the ad network, such as sites that feature advertisements delivered by the ad network. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts.
To learn more about ad networks, including how to opt out, click here.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we collect through the Site to:
- Provide, administer and communicate with you about products, services, events and promotions (including by sending you newsletters, coupons and other marketing communications).
- Process, record and track your purchases, payments and rebates.
- Process, evaluate and respond to your requests, inquiries and applications.
- Manage our customer information databases.
- Operate registrations, including on MyLowe's and Lowes.com.
- Administer contests, sweepstakes and surveys.
- Create, administer and communicate with you about your accounts.
- Customize your experience with our Site.
- Provide you with in-store navigation and mapping services.
- Allow you to find locations near you.
- With respect to personal information we collect through our Career Website, evaluate your application for employment and contact you regarding possible employment.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; performing market research, data analytics and data appends; determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing; analyzing our products, services and Site; administering our Site; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities).
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure and quality.
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, industry standards and our policies and terms, such as our Terms and Conditions of Use.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide notice at the time of the collection.
Sharing of Information
We may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss; (iv) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity; or (v) to assist in collecting debt owed by you.
We reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including, without limitation, in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation). Should such a sale or transfer occur, we will use reasonable efforts to direct the transferee to use personal information you have provided to us in a manner that is consistent with our Privacy Statement.
Where applicable, you may amend your preferences regarding how we communicate with you by updating your profile within your Lowe's authenticated account, using the settings pages on certain websites or contacting us as described in the How to Contact Us section below.
To be removed from all of Lowe's official email, telephone and postal mail marketing, choose one of the following options: email firstname.lastname@example.org and type "REMOVE FROM ALL MARKETING" in the subject line; call 1-800-44-LOWES; or send your request by mail to:
Lowe's Customer Care – CON8
P.O. Box 1111
North Wilkesboro, NC 28659
For any of these options, please include your name, address, phone number and email address in the request, and let us know how you provided us with the information. Account Profile and Communications Preferences Generally
You may access the profile page of certain accounts you maintain on our Site to modify certain personal information associated with your profile and indicate certain communications preferences.
Where applicable, you may amend your preferences regarding how we communicate with you through email by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link in an email you receive from us, by updating certain subscriptions within certain Lowe's authenticated accounts, within settings pages or by contacting us as described in the How to Contact Us section below. To stop receiving newsletters from Lowes.com, you also may email email@example.com with the phrase "REMOVE FROM NEWSLETTER LIST" in the subject line, and we will apply your preference to the email address from which you send us the request.
To exercise your preferences regarding the collection of data for targeted advertising, please follow the directions in the Interest-Based Advertising section above.
To stop the collection of information via Store Wi-Fi, disconnect from the Store Wi-Fi network. Please note that disconnecting from the Store Wi-Fi network will not prevent you from taking advantage of our Mobile Applications' collection of your location. To deactivate that collection of information, follow the instructions in the Mobile Applications section below.
Do Not Track
To stop collection of information by the Mobile Applications, delete the applications from your device. To stop only the collection of information from the geolocation services available on your device (such as your device's GPS functionality), use your device's settings to deactivate the Mobile Applications' access to those services. Please note that deactivating this access will not prevent you from taking advantage of our Store Wi-Fi's collection of your location. To deactivate that collection of information, follow the instructions in the Store Wi-Fi section above.
We do not process or respond to "Do Not Track" signals from your browser or other mechanisms that enable consumer choice regarding the collection of personal information about one's online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services.
The Lowe's Privacy and Security Statement
To exercise a choice under a prior version of this statement, contact us as described in the How to Contact Us section below.
Notice to California Customers
Subject to certain limitations under California Civil Code § 1798.83, if you are a California resident, you may ask us to provide you with (i) a list of certain categories of personal information that we have disclosed to certain third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (ii) the identity of certain third parties that received personal information from us for their direct marketing purposes during that calendar year. To make such a request, please contact us as follows:
Lowe's Customer Care
Attn: Privacy Team – California Marketing Choices – CON8
P.O. Box 1111
North Wilkesboro, NC 28656
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the personal information you provide on our Site against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use and other unlawful forms of processing.
Links to Other Websites
This Site contains links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by companies not affiliated with us. Linked websites, including those operated by Lowe's, may have their own privacy notices, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit them. We are not responsible for the content of any websites that we do not control, any use of those websites or the privacy practices of those websites.
Updates to Our Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices or relevant laws. We will post a notice on Lowes.com and certain other parts of the Site to notify you of any significant changes to our Privacy Statement and indicate at the top of the Privacy Statement when it was updated.
We participate in the Council of Better Business Bureau's BBBOnLine program. Further information about this program and its dispute resolution process is available at the Better Business Bureau's website.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us as indicated below. When you contact us about personal information we hold about you, please let us know where you provided us with the information.
Lowe's Customer Care
Attn: Privacy Team – CON8
P.O. Box 1111
North Wilkesboro, NC 28656