Thieves target homes that are the easiest to break into. Take a few steps to improve your home's security and make it less attractive to thieves and other criminals. Most of these security measures are easy and only require a few simple tools. A little time is a small investment for your peace of mind.
1. Install a quality lockset. It not only adds to your home's beauty, it also sends a message to would-be intruders.
2. Add deadbolt locks to exterior door. Deadbolts are an inexpensive and effective way of adding security to exterior doors, and make a great supplement to standard locksets.
3. Install a peephole so you can see who's knocking before you open the door.
4. Make your sliding patio doors more secure. Cut a piece of closet rod to fit in the track behind the sliding door and adjust the track clearance so the doors can't be removed from their frame.
5. Install keyed sash locks on your windows to make them more secure. If you like to let in fresh air, look for locks that also have a vent locking position.
6. Install low-voltage lights. They're easy to install and provide an excellent, low-energy light source to highlight areas you don't want in shadow.
7. Place lights with motion detectors outside your home. They're a convenient and efficient source for outdoor security lighting. Well-positioned motion detectors make it virtually impossible for anyone to sneak up on your home.
8. Consider security cameras. They not only allow you to keep an eye on kids playing in the yard, they allow you to see who's coming to the door from inside your home.
9, Invest in a storage barn with a good lock to keep your outdoor items organized and safe.
10. Keep your hedges and foundation plants pruned so they don't hide potential entry points to your home. Overgrown plants offer intruders a place to hide while they attempt to break in.