You can help protect your home and family against fire and carbon monoxide with a simple detection device that's easy to install. Installing a smoke / carbon monoxide detector-alarm will take less than an hour and, with just a little maintenance, help protect what's most important for many years.
Use this checklist when you go to the store and purchase your items.
Once a fire starts, it can grow and spread quickly, filling the house with smoke. Carbon monoxide, however, can pose a threat without you even knowing it. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas that can come from faulty combustion in appliances, like furnaces and water heaters. CO is very dangerous because it replaces the oxygen in the air, making it difficult to breathe.
To keep your home safe, install a combination smoke / carbon monoxide detector-alarm on every level of your house. Following are some guidelines from home safety professionals:
Open the back of the detector-alarm unit and install the batteries, following the diagram on the bottom of the battery well.
Position the unit on the ceiling or an inside wall.
Using the back of the unit as a template, mark the center of the holes with a pencil.
Drill a hole through each of the pencil marks.
Install anchors in the holes with a hammer. Anchors may not be necessary if the screw holes are into a ceiling rafter or wall stud.
Insert two screws and tighten until the back plate is secure.
Attach the detector-alarm unit to the back plate. Most units clip into place.
Press the TEST button to verify that it operates and can be heard easily.
Test the unit once a week following the manufacturer’s instructions.
You should have an evacuation plan for your family so that everyone knows what to do if the alarm goes off. Identify a single gathering point outside the home. Practice evacuation periodically, determining the fastest and safest paths to your gathering point. If the smoke / carbon monoxide detector-alarm does go off:
1. Leave your home immediately, making sure that all family members are out.
CAUTION: Before opening any door, carefully touch it to see if it's hot. If so, don't open the door. Use an alternate escape route.
2. Call 911 to report the problem from a safe location.
3. Stay out of the house until firemen or technicians tell you it's safe to return.
4. If the problem is carbon monoxide, contact a trained technician to check appliances, like the water heater or furnace.
*Time and Cost are estimated.