The refrigerator has never been a hotter commodity. With more innovations, styles and storage room, selecting the right refrigerator to fit your lifestyle involves more than just a tape measure. The following questions will help you determine which features you’ll want in a new fridge and help you make the best purchasing decision.
Refrigerator Buying Tips
1. Measure. Then measure again. The No. 1 reason a refrigerator is returned after a purchase is because it doesn't fit. No matter your space constraints, there's a fridge to fit your needs. Note any restricting obstacles, like sidewalls or a kitchen island, as you may need a model that has reversible doors. A side-by-side refrigerator can be ideal, since its narrower doors require less swing space.
2. Determine the right configuration. It's more than an open-and-shut case. There are French-door, top-freezer, bottom-freezer and side-by-side models, each offering different benefits. Think about your food-buying habits. If you purchase more frozen than fresh foods, you’ll need more freezer space. If you buy a lot of fresh foods, you'll want easy access and storage space in the refrigerator.
3. Water and ice dispenser? Decide if you prefer to get filtered water and ice without having to open the fridge or if reaching inside the door will work for you.
4. Consider an energy saving model. ENERGY STAR® qualified refrigerators use a minimum of 20% less energy than nonqualified models — saving you money on utility bills. You may also be eligible for rebates from your city when buying ENERGY STAR qualified models.
5. Innovations make life easier. When you're looking at different models, think about features that add convenience to your life. Most refrigerators offer adjustable or gallon-size door bins for storing milk, juice and soda. Some models offer spill-proof shelves, LED (light-emitting diode) lights, wide storage drawers, temperature-controlled zones and more.
6. Opt for easy delivery. If your fridge is in stock at your local Lowe's, you can have it delivered via Lowe's Home Delivery. Lowe's Home Delivery rates vary depending on your distance from the store, not by delivery weight.
7. Ready to get started? Read the Refrigerator Buying Guide to find the best refrigerator for you.