Take the tedious out of organizing Christmas lights and other decorations by storing everything sensibly.
Store Holiday Decorations
Get organized and declutter the day you take down your home's holiday bling. At the start of a new year, evaluate all of your holiday decorations. Consider donating or selling anything you didn't use this year. Store everything that you use and love in an organized manner so decorating next year will be a snap. Here’s how:
Store Christmas Lights
- Take down each string, untangle it and replace any burned-out or broken bulbs. Throw away strings with broken or frayed cords.
- Label each string with a sticker or a bit of electrical tape, and note where you used the light so you can decorate faster next year.
Here are five options for bringing order to tangled string lights:
- Wrap each string around a piece of cardboard. Cut a notch in the cardboard to hold the plug in place and carefully wrap the cord, avoiding overlaps.
- Wrap string lights around a polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe with a notch cut on one end to hold the plug in place. The Lowe's Plumbing area can cut pipe to size.
- Wind one string into a loop that's 12 inches to 18 inches in diameter, and attach a clamp or make a cuff from a plastic bottle with the top and bottom removed.
- Drop carefully wound strings into individual plastic bags so they won't tangle with other strings.
- Wind strings around a plastic cord reel. Look in the Lowe's Holiday area and in the Lowe's Electrical / Wiring aisles for storage options.