Sort dirty clothes into a personalized canvas laundry cart, and your bright red sweater will never again find its way into a load of pristine white shirts. Label each compartment for colors, whites and towels or other items. Or you can add names or initials for you and your roommate. You can even show your school spirit by painting your mascot’s name or a game-day slogan.
Cost estimate: $55 and up (Does not include the cost of carbon paper, which can be found at art- or office-supply stores and does not include labor costs or applicable taxes, which vary by market )
Time estimate: Less than 1 day.
1. Sketch your name or monogram on a piece of paper, and then use carbon paper to transfer the design onto the bin compartment. You can use a stencil as a guide if you wish, or print out letters from a computer and lay the printed sheet over the carbon paper to trace.
2. Use an artist’s brush to paint over the transferred lines in a paint color of your choice. Allow to dry completely before using the laundry cart.
1. Lightly spray the backs of your stencils with artist’s adhesive.
2. Position stencils on the appropriate bin compartments, spelling out the desired wording.
3. Mask off the exposed canvas around the stencils with painter’s tape.
4. Spray-paint over the stencils. Allow to dry completely before using the laundry cart.