A lamp should make a statement about you and the room you're decorating. You’ll find accent lamps, table lamps, desk lamps, floor lamps, novelty lamps, wall-mount lamps and more. With so many types and styles, how do you find the perfect one? We’ll shed some light on the subject with this informative guide.
Selecting a lamp involves decisions regarding fashion and functionality. Let your sense of style lead you, but keep a few basic lighting principles in mind. Types of Lighting
• Ambient or general lighting provides a safe and comfortable level of light.
• Task lighting supplies the intense, directed light needed for detailed work.
• Accent lighting spotlights interesting features in your home's décor.
Types of Lamps
• Floor lamps are great for showcasing your home's design.
• Table lamps can be used as an accessory in any room.
• Desk and task lamps can add extra lighting for rooms with office space.
• Accent lamps can add a finishing touch that pulls a room's theme together.
• Create an inviting atmosphere by using three to five light sources in every room.
• Choose a lamp with a base and a shade in proportion to each other and to the rest of the furniture in the room. The shade should be at eye level when you're seated, and the bulb shouldn't be visible.
• Update a lamp using a new shade or decorative finial.
• Add a transparent shade to provide the maximum amount of light to a room. Opaque shades focus light downward for task lighting.
One of the advantages of using lamps is their portability and ability to direct light where you want it. Install track lighting for a more permanent option.